Tuesday, July 31, 2012

GUILT TRIP

So, i've come to realize why people go to africa (or other 3rd world countries) and then come back home and get rid of EVERYTHING! give their clothes to the goodwill, eat macaroni for months, sell their apartment and move into a cardboard box...its that DAMN thing called GUILT!

my most recent bout of guilt was today at dinner when the kids ask me a jillion questions (as usual) and  they wanted to know what we've done the past couple of weekends! As i went back and explained safari, and the market, tea farm, the malls etc...they looked at me with curiosity as they havent been able to experience these aspects of kenya for themselves. So as i told them about the greatest things Kenya has to offer i became saddened by the fact that i'v seen more in 6 and a half weeks then they've seen in their lifetime here. i became angry!

I mean, i get it, there are 99 kids, it was be ridiculously expensive and hard to get them all to safari (or anywhere really). and i get that part of my trip isn't just being at Rafiki, its seeing the environment around me, experiencing the culture. but i still cant help but flip the situation in my head...if one of them came to visit me in Tacoma/Seattle, i'd be able to show them the coolest things, because i'v been! i guess it just sorta ruffled my feathers...and what it made me really want to do was send a video to Oprah or Bill Gates....someone with a ton of money, lol...to get these kids and mamas on a plane so they could eat dicks, and ride the duck, try some real chai, experience a blizzard,...walk around a city without garbage everywhere, see a different part of the world, expand their horizons! (whether or not that would actually be good for them, i have no idea...but i couldn't help but think about how cool it would be to see their faces as they boarded a plane! none have ever been on one!)

But then i also realized that i shouldn't get too discouraged because maybe thats part of my job...to expand their horizons to the best of my ability...to plant seeds of knowledge that there are different people and cultures out there and to encourage them, that when they are able, to explore the unknown! Maybe its my job,and my duty, to expose them to a tiny piece of "different" that they have graciously shown me!

but still...if anyone has any connections with Bill...you should hook me up! haha

anyways, here are a few photo updates:

(Christopher:community student and David)

(clint with the lollipop i gave him as his reward for doing so well in tutoring...a method i got in trouble for later that day...i guess 8 year olds aren't the best at keeping secrets!)

(james...we think we could be a j.crew model or something)

No comments:

Post a Comment