Monday, July 16, 2012

devotions

I've mentioned cottage devotions a couple times, but havent informed you all on the nuts and bolts...so i thought now would be a good time to do that!

there are 8 cottages:
joppa-mama esther
bethel-auntie joyce
bethany-mama miriam
bethsaida-auntie lydia
canaan- mama lydia
ebenezer-mama mary
shalom-mama rosylnn
nazareth- mama winnie
They have devotions every night at 7:30 but we only go tuesday and friday evenings...and switch off so that we go to each cottage fairly equally!

now, they all do devotions a little differently, but for the most part they all follow the some structure.
they are opened with a couple hymns, which the children sing beautifully, but which are usually butchered by me! then they read a story from the bible and are then required to share something they learned from the story, sometimes its more theme based and other times they are quizzed on the specifics (towns, names etc...) then the mamas usually give a little blurp on the lesson and then there's usually time for the kids to ask questions to the guest (me!).

without fail, EVERY single cottage asks about my diabetes (even if they asked about it the previous time)- the phrase "is it pain?" rings in my ear as i walk home. I've also been asked questions (and thoroughly interrogated) about my family, university, planes, food, president obama, our prison system...as you can see it really varies and sometimes i can't help but laugh as i think "what kinda kids wanna know about politics?"

Devotions are probably my favorite part of the week because its the time i get to be with the kids and mama alone, and thats actually pretty rare around here! i usually walk in to each cottage to find them all  (ages 3-12) sitting criss-cross apple sauce on the floor in matching flannel pajamas and i just melt! When i leave kids are hanging all over me, asking me to stay...sometimes the whole cottage will have a good night song to sing me. i always leave feeling like im the coolest person in the world and dont stop smiling til i lay my head on my pillow...its quite the confidence booster!

the girls at Ebenezer!

Some of my favorite boys at Bethsaida (and of course auntie lydia is a GEM!)

Mama Mary and i...we share our common love for tube socks!




1 comment:

  1. Katie, This is a wonderful Blog, we are enjoying it soooo much. What a great experience you are having &n sharing. We are so anxious for you to get home & tell us even more of your stories!
    Stay very safe.
    You are dearly loved,
    G & G

    ReplyDelete